Senior C++ Software engineer
Orbex is looking for an experienced Senior Software Developer for our Mission Control & Ground Segment software. You will primarily be working in C++, supporting skills in Python would be advantageous. This is a unique opportunity to join the space sector and to have your work play an integral role in launch into orbit!
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
• Develop GUI desktop applications used to real-time monitor mission critical systems.
• Develop database interfaces and configuration management.
• Develop software with network interfaces like UDP, TCP/IP.
• Protocols for data distribution between Launch Vehicle system and the ground Segment.
Skills and Experience
• Several years of experience with networking software, databases and GUI development.
• Several years of experience with several programming languages like Python or C++.
• Experience with mission-critical software from either the Space, Transport, Medical or similar industry with strong requirements for quality of the software solutions.
• Experience in documentation and communication of software specifications, preferably for mission critical or safety critical software.
Personal characteristic of the applicants:
• Assumes responsibility for the tasks and sees them through.
• Very good communication skills in both oral and written form, as well as interpersonal communication.
• Is a team player that sees collaboration with co-employees as a very important part of creating good results both short and long term.
•Thrives in an international environment with collaboration across cultures and borders.
The Position Offers
• Joining the rapidly-developing space industry.
• A unique opportunity to participate in software development team needed for the Ground Segment of a space launch vehicle.
• Having a very central role in the development of Orbex’s ground-based software infrastructure, like the Mission Control and Ground Segment.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may need to undergo a BPSS check which includes a criminal record check.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Competitive salary of £39,000 -53,400 depending on experience.
• An equity stake in the company
• Relocation assistance where appropriate
Orbex are willing and able to sponsor visa's for this role.