We are looking for a CNC engineer with an understanding of milling precision parts with fine tolerances, ideally working on large 5-axis CNC machines. This is a unique opportunity to work for a groundbreaking company, with the chance to support the manufacture of highly precise, space-grade components such as rocket engines and have your work launched into space.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Running and maintaining the CNC machine, ideally programming its CAD software and working with our engineers to ensure optimal designs.
- Operate the machine, set new jobs and prepare the production process on a CNC milling machine.
- Use Mastercam (or other CAM program) and work difficult-to-machine materials whilst working with tight dimensional tolerances.
- Read technical drawings and design machining devices (fixtures, etc.).
- Maintain the machine and workshop at their top condition, including cleaning and repairing whenever required.
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent experience working with CNC machines, ideally with experience DFM / DFA.
- Comfortable running and maintaining a CNC machine, programming software and working with engineers to consult on design considerations.
- Experience working as a CNC engineer in a precise and safe industry such as Aerospace, F1, medical devices, energy etc.
- Experience of MasterCAM, EdgeCAM, ORCAD and Solidworks would be ideal
- Experience working with harder materials such as stainless steel or Inconel would be advantageous.
- Experience of Haas machines would be ideal
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly and can collaborate with technical and non technical team members.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse and multicultural environment.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
This role is based in Copenhagen at Orbex’s Danish propulsion engineering and manufacturing site with significant time expected at our test site in Faxe.
You will be spending time both at the factory and our nearby rocket engine testing site, with occasional travel to our main factory, test and launch sites in Scotland.
Copenhagen is one of Europe's most modern and aesthetically interesting cities. It is regarded as being one of the most livable cities in the world, with a strong reputation for being clean, green and sustainable.
With a huge, active waterfront and a lively social scene, Copenhagen offers a wide range of social activities and leisure opportunities, all with a uniquely Scandinavian flair. Activities include cycling and sailing, and the centre of the city is famed for its cultural highlights.
You must be a UK or European citizen, or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
- Our roles need to be on-site in Denmark due to the nature of the work as well as export controls and security, we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required which included funding the move and your first month in temporary accommodation so that you can explore the beautiful city of Copenhagen before choosing a place to settle down.