Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Orbex is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to develop the On-board systems for our Orbital Launch Vehicle. This is a unique opportunity to join the space sector and to have your work launch into orbit!
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
• In collaboration with System Engineering, architects and fellow software developers, develop, document and test the embedded on-board software including work at our test/trials site nearby.
• Assume responsibility for the development of software for on-board units including Engine Controllers, Flight Controllers or Power Management Units.
• Development of drivers for SPI, UART, actuators, RCS – just to mention some of the tasks.
Qualifications and Experience
• A degree in Computer Science or similar education.
• Strong experience as an Embedded Software engineer, ideally for safety or mission critical systems.
• Confident in C programming for embedded software, ideally for on an RTOS.
• Candidates with an understanding of high reliability or mission critical software standards such as military, aerospace (DO-178B), medical ect be preferred but not essential.
• Assumes responsibility of the tasks and sees them through.
• Very good communication skills in both oral and written form, as well as interpersonal communication.
• Is a team player that sees the collaboration with colleagues as a very important part of creating good results both short and long term.
• Very thorough and focused on writing highly reliable software.
• Able to thrive in an international environment with collaboration across cultures and borders.
The Position Offers
• Being part of a rapidly-developing sector of the space industry.
• A unique chance of being part of a software team for a space launch vehicle.
• Having a very central role in the design and development of the on-board software responsible of monitoring and controlling the launch vehicle.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo a UK BPSS check which includes a criminal record check.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Competitive salary (£35-55k depending on experience)
• An equity stake in the company
• Relocation assistance where appropriate
• Company Cycle to Work scheme
We are able to offer visa sponsorship for this role.