Propulsion Design & Test Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Propulsion Design and Test Engineer to join Orbex, this constitutes a highly versatile position which will expose you to most facets of liquid propulsion systems engineering. You will typically be responsible for the execution of individual work packages in close collaboration with senior engineers and technicians with activities ranging from all the way from conceptual design to qualification testing.
It is essential that applicants have both practical and theoretical experience in rocketry, it is likely that you have experience designing but also in robust testing procedures, ideally hot fire tests or similar.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Core duties and responsibilities of the Propulsion Design and Test Engineer role typically include:
• Design, development and AIT activities on launch vehicle propulsion systems, hereunder e.g. main stage propulsion, turbo-machinery, ignition systems and RCS implementations.
• Design, development and validation of propulsion fluid control and safety systems, cryogenic as well as non-cryogenic.
• Development and validation testing of launch vehicle propulsion GSE.
• Test facilities/equipment design, development, validation, operation and maintenance.
• Test plans and procedures development.
• Test procedure execution, data analysis and reporting.
• Integrated systems testing support at DK/UK test facilities.
• Propulsion systems physical modelization, hereunder CAD and CFD modelization in close collaboration with senior engineers.
• Supplier liaison and Quality Assurance work on produced propulsion system components/parts including additively manufactured parts.
• Assembly and operational procedures development supporting of propulsion systems AIT in collaboration with propulsion systems technicians.
• Design and test documentation preparation and participation in design reviews.
Qualifications and Experience
It is essential that successful applicants have experience in experimental or practical rocketry, either professionally or through a rocketry team, Ideally for liquid or hybrid propulsion systems. Experience with Cryogenics would be a significant benefit.
Expected toolchain proficiencies will include:
• Highly experienced with SolidWorks or similar CAD tool.
• Numerical analysis tool (eg. Matlab/Simulink) proficiency.
• Experienced with typical rocket engine performance modeling tools (eg. CEA, RPA, Redtop etc.)
• Cycle simulation tool proficiency desired (eg. Ecosimpro, Simscape)
• MS Office tools, full proficiency expected
• Strong communication skills in both written and spoken English
You will have:
• A self-starter mentality, with minimum direction required
• A flexible and dedicated mindset
This role is based in Copenhagen at Orbex’s Danish propulsion engineering and manufacturing site.
You will be spending time both at the factory and our nearby rocket engine testing site, with occasional travel to our main factory, test and launch sites in Scotland.
Copenhagen is one of Europe's most modern and aesthetically interesting cities. It is regarded as being one of the most livable cities in the world, with a strong reputation for being clean, green and sustainable.
With a huge, active waterfront and a lively social scene, Copenhagen offers a wide range of social activities and leisure opportunities, all with a uniquely Scandinavian flair. Activities include cycling and sailing, and the centre of the city is famed for it's cultural highlights.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You must be able to pass a basic security clearance.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Salary of 32,500 - 42,000 DKK per month depending on experience.
• An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
• Our roles need to be on-site in Denmark due to the nature of the work as well as export controls and security, we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required which included funding the move and your first month in temporary accommodation so that you can explore the beautiful city of Copenhagen before choosing a place to settle down.