Electronics Engineer: Sensor Systems
Orbex are currently seeking an experienced Electronics Hardware Engineer to work on the selection, procurement, qualification, integration and management of sensors for our prime launch vehicle.
Initial sensor integration with subsystems under test, leading up to complete integration with the Orbex Prime launch vehicle. You will need strong electronics understanding, ideally for space or aeronautical hardware/telemetry.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
- The sensors in question are for pressure, strain, temperature, and fluid level.
- Sensor selection and procurement.
- Calibration and stock management.
- Qualification testing (vibration, temperature and vacuum)
- Integration and functional testing, at incremental development stages.
- It is essential that you have experience in design, but also in testing those designs. Preferably including environmental tests, such as thermal, vacuum and vibration
- Light metal work for prototype and test setup construction.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in electronics engineering.
- 2 or more years of hands-on electronics construction and test experience.
- Signal processing
- Detail-oriented and methodical working style.
- Technical documentation writing in English.
- Programming experience is an advantage, particularly in Python.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches, and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world-famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking, and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Salary of £33-£55K depending on experience
• Company Cycle to Work scheme
• An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
• Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.
Due to the nature of the role, you will be required to gain BPSS clearance which includes a criminal record check.