Production Operations Manager
Orbex is recruiting for a Production Operations Manager to plan and oversee production operations and infrastructure in our UK and DK sites. Responsible for planning, coordinating and optimising our production efforts across the business, including composite flight structures, Rocket Engines, Propulsion Systems, Avionics and more.
You'll plan and oversee the production infrastructure and process, coordinating all production activities and operations, ensuring they meet program demands and align with business objectives
Given the nature of the role and the complexity of the task at hand, significant experience in managing production operations in the aerospace or space industry, particularly for launch vehicles, would be beneficial
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The Position’s Key Responsibilities
The Production Operations Manager will plan and oversee the production infrastructure and process, coordinating all production activities and operations.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Assess, plan, propose and then lead the implementation of the required production infrastructure to meet the programme's evolving demand
- Regularly re-evaluate and adopt the infrastructure needs to reflect the business objectives
- plan, draw up, and maintain production schedules for all manufacturing activities at our Uk and DK sites
- Manage the inventory/resources that are required and ensure stock levels remain adequate
- Install a maintenance plan, select equipment and take responsibility for the regular maintenance activities
- Implement the quality standards required to meeting the business objectives
- Monitor and report the overall efficiency, OTD rate, and cost using quantitative metrics (KPIs) of the individual productions sites and define and implement measures for its improvement
- Ensure identification and implementation of lessons learned
- Negotiate and agree budgets with management for investment, overhead as well as overall delivery cost
- Manage the production processes and adjust schedules as needed, reporting to Orbex’ Programme Manage
- Perform risk management for the production sites and install mitigations where needed
- Monitor productivity rates and product standards and implement quality control programmes
- Liaise with different departments, teams and companies, e.g. suppliers and managers
- Ensure that health and safety guidelines are followed at all times
- Ensure orders are completed on time and to budget and that quality standards and targets are met
- Collaborate with managers to implement the company's policies and goals
- Collate and analyse data, putting together production reports for both factory managers and customers
- Supervise and motivate a team of workers
- Review worker performance and identify training needs.
- The role will be a driving factor in the pre-production (planning) stage as well as the production (control and supervision) stage and is expected to contribute to product design as well as the definition of Orbex' purchasing strategy.
Relevant Skills and experience:
Given the complex nature of the role it is expected that you will have at least a degree, preferably higher education, in a relevant discipline such as aerospace engineering, business management, electrical and electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, process engineering.
A minimum of 5 years in a similar role in the aerospace or a similar industry, experience In Additive Manufacturing and/or Composite production for space or aerospace applications would be particularly beneficial as well as experience in the space industry.
Fluent in the English language, a 2nd language is a plus
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters, but will require regular travel to our site in Copenhagen
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches, and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world-famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking, and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Salary of £75-95K depending on experience
• An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
• Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required which includes a relocation allowance and 1 month of temporary accommodation in the local area.
Due to the nature of the role, you will be required to gain BPSS clearance which includes a criminal record check.