Avionics AIT/V Engineer (Electrical)
Orbex is seeking a skilled and experienced Avionics AIT/V Engineer with significant skills in electrical design. You will play a crucial role in supporting Assembly, Integration, and Testing activities for avionics systems, be responsible for data logging, instrumentation selection, harnessing, and designing data acquisition systems and Electrical-Ground Support Equipment (E-GSE).
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
- Design and develop harnessing solutions for avionics systems, ensuring efficient and reliable data transfer and signal integrity.
- Create and implement data acquisition systems and Electrical-Ground Support Equipment (E-GSE) for testing and validation of avionics components and subsystems.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to specify interfaces and integrate instrumentation effectively within the avionics systems.
- Utilize your expertise in both in-house and bespoke systems, as well as off-the-shelf tools like NI and LabView, to optimize testing processes and deliver accurate results.
- Execute electrical-avionic AIT/V activities on satellite/spacecraft/launchers or equivalent systems, with a focus on meticulous testing and verification.
- Assist in the design and implementation of ATEX systems to ensure compliance with safety and regulatory standards, where applicable.
- Bring hands-on experience to the team by directly working with electrical/avionics systems during testing and troubleshooting.
- Ensure compliance with IPC/WHMA-A-620 standards to maintain high-quality standards in harnessing and avionics integration.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Avionics, or a related field.
- Proven experience in data logging, instrumentation selection, and specifying interfaces within instrumentation for avionics testing.
- Solid expertise in harnessing and data acquisition systems design for avionics testing and integration.
- Ability to work with both in-house/bespoke systems and off-the-shelf tools like NI, LabView, etc.
- Experience in conducting electrical-avionic AIT/V activities on satellite/spacecrafts/launchers or equivalent systems (missiles/submarines/ROV’s).
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills to troubleshoot and resolve avionics-related issues during testing and integration.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Experience in designing ATEX systems, ensuring compliance with safety standards.
- Hands-on experience with electrical/avionics systems for testing and integration purposes.
- Qualification in IPC/WHMA-A-620 (IP620) standards to ensure high-quality harnessing and assembly.
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to take assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly and can collaborate with technical and non technical team members.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse and multicultural environment.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters with significant time expected supporting our activities at RAF Kinloss, an outdoor test site nearby.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo a UK BPSS check which includes a criminal record check.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
- Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.
- Company Cycle to Work scheme