Propulsion Test Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Propulsion Test Engineer, with experience commercially testing liquid or hybrid rocket engines. You will be hands-on supporting the development of our low carbon emission, innovative, 3D printed rocket engines while working in an exciting start-up where you own equity in the company.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Role and Responsibilities:
Working as a Propulsion Test Engineer with a focus on the development of our main engine systems will be quite a multi-faceted role. Broadly it would entail these elements and likely more depending on exact skillset and interests:
- Planning and executing propulsion system tests, hereunder turbomachinery and cryogenic main engine testing at component level and as integrated systems.
- Performing structural, thermal and fluid flow analysis in contribution to the design of new propulsion test facilities
- Providing production support, assembly, commissioning, operation and continuous improvement of new test benches as well as upgrades to existing benches.
- Development and refinement of test and qualification plans, procedures, risk assessments and operating manuals
- Preparing devices for test in collaboration with technicians
- Analyzing test data and conducting test readiness/post-test reviews
- Supporting integrated qualification test campaigns at launch vehicle level in the UK
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a Masters degree in aerospace engineering or a related field
- Practical Rocket engine test experience, high and low pressure cycle systems preferable
- Hands-on experience conducting tests for Liquid or Hybrid rocket engines.
- Bi-prop/turbo-machinery ground testing and qualification including ground support equipment and test facility design
Strong proven knowledge of manufacturing techniques commonly applied in rocket propulsion technology, specific emphasis on additive manufacturing desired.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
Prior experience with Liquid Oxygen fluid systems or cryogenic propellants, materials compatibility and sealing technology
- Turbo-machinery operations knowledge and cryogenic experience preferable
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for motivated team players who will work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves without any need for supervision.
Typically you will be:-
• A creative, lateral thinker.
• Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy.
• Comfortable with extreme multi-tasking.
• Highly detail-oriented.
• Energetic and proactive.
This role is based in Copenhagen at Orbex’s Danish propulsion engineering and manufacturing site.
You will be spending time both at the factory and our nearby rocket engine testing site, with occasional travel to our main factory, test and launch sites in Scotland.
Copenhagen is one of Europe's most modern and aesthetically interesting cities. It is regarded as being one of the most livable cities in the world, with a strong reputation for being clean, green and sustainable.
With a huge, active waterfront and a lively social scene, Copenhagen offers a wide range of social activities and leisure opportunities, all with a uniquely Scandinavian flair. Activities include cycling and sailing, and the centre of the city is famed for it's cultural highlights.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You must be able to pass a basic security clearance.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
• An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
• Our roles need to be on-site in Denmark due to the nature of the work as well as export controls and security, we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required which included funding the move and your first month in temporary accommodation so that you can explore the beautiful city of Copenhagen before choosing a place to settle down.