Orbex are looking for an experienced Security Manager, you will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive security plan for the company, encompassing physical security, collaborating with cybersecurity experts, and regulatory compliance with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a robust security plan for Orbex, ensuring the protection of assets, personnel, and sensitive information across our development, test and launch sites.
- Must be eligible and willing to obtain SC/SCE clearance which requires British nationality and 3 years of residency in the UK.
- Work closely with Facilities, IT and Systems Engineering, as well as other key stakeholders, to mitigate security risks across the organisation through existing and self-developed processes.
- Conduct ongoing security risk assessments and audits to proactively identify vulnerabilities, develop mitigation strategies, and ensure compliance with applicable regulations and industry best practices and to develop ongoing processes/tripwires to provide early notice of potential issues.
- Develop and deliver security awareness and training programs for employees, contractors, and partners, promoting a culture of security throughout the organization.
- Act as the liaison with the CAA and other regulatory authorities, ensuring compliance with aviation security regulations and facilitating necessary certifications and audits.
- Lead the integration of security themes throughout the business in conjunction with the Board to ensure a holistic/agile approach is adopted and maintained while anticipating future threats.
- Lead investigations into security breaches in partnership with outside agencies to ensure learning is captured and acted upon. Provide timeous reports on investigations to the Board and advise accordingly on steps required to prevent incident reoccurrence.
- Provide advice to all colleagues around mitigation of risks during travel and provide support to the Board during incident management.
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Proven experience in a security management role, preferably in the aerospace, aviation, space or high-tech industry, with a focus on physical, personnel and cybersecurity.
- Relevant certifications (e.g., CISSP, CISM, CPP, LCGI, GCGI, CSyP, CSMP), are desirable but not essential.
- In-depth knowledge of security principles, practices, and technologies, including physical security, access control, intrusion detection, network security, incident response, and risk management.
- Familiarity with NPSA guidance and other best practice with regard to the above. Ideally you will already have/had NPSA Extranet access and be knowledgeable on its contents.
- Familiarity with interfacing with regulatory bodies around security regulations and standards, particularly those set by the CAA or other relevant regulatory authorities.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Experience in conducting security risk assessments, audits, and investigations, and implementing appropriate controls and countermeasures.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver security training and awareness programs.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Integrity, professionalism, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion. Experience of working with sensitive material and of handling protocols.
- Membership/Fellowship of the UK Security Institute or similar professional body with evidence of ongoing CPD over several years.
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to take assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly and can collaborate with technical and non technical team members.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse and multicultural environment.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
Must be eligible and willing to obtain SC/SCE clearance which requires British nationality and 3 years of residency in the UK.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
Competitive salary £50-70K
An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.
Company Cycle to Work scheme