Technical Proposal Writer
At Orbex we are looking for a passionate and experienced Technical Proposal Writer to play a key role in authoring technical bids and grant applications.
You will have a unique opportunity to work alongside our Senior Leadership team elevating our funding and bidding strategy and engaging with our external stakeholders.
Moreover, you will collaborate with our internal teams and institutional funding organisations with a goal to advance Orbex’s mission in the space industry.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the Head of Strategy to build compelling grant applications by serving as the primary editor and document author, ensuring high-quality and cohesive applications tailored for the intended audience
- Coordinate and collaborate with subject matter experts (engineers, designers, and technicians) to gather information and ensure accurate and comprehensive documentation
- Act as a liaison between the technical team and the Chief Commercial Officer for customer Requests for Proposal
,and tender processes
- Act as a "space writer" by conveying technical concepts and terminology to various technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Coordinating and managing relationships with important stakeholders: internal teams
,and institutional funding organisations
- Developing and maintaining relationships with external partners such as the UK and European Space Agencies (ESA), European Commission, and other relevant institutions
- Regularly review and improve proposals, to ensure stakeholder satisfaction and increase likelihood of success
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently and productively, and thrive in a loosely structured environment
- Knowledge and experience in grant funding, proposal writing and bidding process, preferably from within the space sector
- Possess industrial experience, preferably in the space or aerospace sector
- Demonstrate excellent technical communication and writing skills
- Ability to turn technical information and diagrams into a compelling story
- Knowledge of the UK and European innovation and industry-specific landscape
- Excellent MS Office skills for presentation and technical writing purposes
- Background in business case development would be beneficial
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to take assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly, and can collaborate with technical and non-technical team members.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse, and multicultural environment.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches, and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world-famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast, and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking, and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo a UK BPSS check which includes a criminal record check.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
- Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.
- Company Cycle to Work scheme