Composites Design Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Composites Design Engineer, with strong knowledge of composite design and manufacturing processes, ideally for aerospace or space applications. You will join our team manufacturing the Prime launch vehicle here in Forres, working with experts in the field to produce our state-of-the-art orbital vehicle.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Space Hub Sutherland. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €40m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design and CAD definition of composite components and assemblies.
- Preparation of detail design data packs including laminating books.
- Interaction with structural analysts to ensure performance objectives are met.
- Provide hands-on engineering support to hardware prototype development and testing.
- Managing multiple tasks in parallel with changeable priorities.
- Continuous development of design methodologies and best practices.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to minimum of HND level Mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Sound working knowledge of composite design and manufacturing processes.
- Proven experience in an industrial environment for the delivery from concept to manufacture of high performance composite components and assemblies.
- Proficient user of CAD for composite design definition, ideally CATIA V5.
- Proactive and strong team player with excellent communication skills able to with multi-disciplined and multi-national teams.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstratable experience for the development of multiple composite design solutions for a diverse set of applications.
- Practical experience with composite part production and testing.
- Familiarity with industry standards and references (e.g. MIL-HDBK-5/17, ECSS-E-HB-32, NASA-STD-5001, GSFC-STD-7000)
- Stress analysis experience by classical methods and/or FEA, ideally NASTAN/OPTISTRUCT
- Familiarity with the requirements of engineering for the space environment.
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for motivated team players who will work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves without any need for supervision.
Typically you will be:-
• A creative, lateral thinker.
• Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy.
• Comfortable with extreme multi-tasking.
• Highly detail-oriented.
• Energetic and proactive.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo BPSS security screening including a criminal record check.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Salary of £40-55K depending on experience.
• An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
• Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.