Fluid System Test Technician
Orbex are looking for a Fluid System Test Technician, to assist our design engineers to create test procedures, plan and perform tests according to the agreed schedule. As an experienced Technician you will take command of the testing and data.
At Orbex you will have the power to become autonomous and drive the projects forward using your own experiences and knowledge.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Take ownership of all in house fluid system test equipment, including the design, facility, procurement, maintenance, consumables, and health & safety
- Ensure all sensors used for testing are calibrated and the data is stored correctly
- Analyse the test procedures and determine what testing hardware is required
- Modify existing test hardware to suit new testing requirements or design a new test bench should this be required
- Determine if sub-contract testing is needed and liaise with the sub-contractors
- Process the test data and prepare it to be analysed by the necessary project owner
- Contribute towards tests advancements for easier data collection, test simplification and to improve results
- Ensure all test related documentation is updated and made available during testing campaigns
- Collaborate with other test technicians or engineers to ensure test equipment is available
- Hands on work and providing assistance with meeting deadlines, that include aspects of production, quality inspections and testing
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Experienced in industrial or aerospace testing campaigns
- Experience with the use and setup of data acquisition systems
- Experience in data processing and analysis either with custom coding (Python) or NI software
- Hands on experience with designing, building, and maintaining test equipment
- Mechanical CAD Design and GD&T
- CAD / CFD experience, Solidworks / Ansys or StarCCM preferred
- MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, projects, etc
Desirable Skills and Experience
- ERP software experience
- Strong knowledge of calibration techniques
- Cryogenic experience, handling and storage
- Experience including liquid oxygen is preferable
- Experience with Python or N software suite
- Experience with Epsilon3
- Budgeting and procurement experience
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to take assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly and can collaborate with technical and non technical team members. Having the ability to work with multiple projects simultaneously and have flexibility to adapt to an ever-changing environment is very important to this role and our team.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse and multicultural environment.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
This role is based in Copenhagen at Orbex’s Danish propulsion engineering and manufacturing site.
You will be spending time both at the factory and our nearby rocket engine testing site, with occasional travel to our main factory, test and launch sites in Scotland.
Copenhagen is one of Europe's most modern and aesthetically interesting cities. It is regarded as being one of the most livable cities in the world, with a strong reputation for being clean, green and sustainable.
With a huge, active waterfront and a lively social scene, Copenhagen offers a wide range of social activities and leisure opportunities, all with a uniquely Scandinavian flair. Activities include cycling and sailing, and the centre of the city is famed for it's cultural highlights.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You will be required to obtain CTC clearance for the role.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful
- Our roles need to be on-site in Denmark due to the nature of the work as well as export controls and security, we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required which included funding the move and your first month in temporary accommodation so that you can explore the beautiful city of Copenhagen before choosing a place to settle down