Lead Composite Laminator
We are seeking a Lead Composite Laminator to join the team here at Orbex as we grow the team and move closer to the first launch of Orbex Prime. You will be responsible for taking leading role in our clean room, developing our processes and team to ensure the CFRP parts we make reach the highest levels of quality possible while overseeing the operations and maintenance of our composite clean room facility.
Ideally you will have a strong background in composite prepeg manufacturing processes, ideally ten years or more, including some experience within a supervisory role. It is essential that you have strong knowledge of clean room practices and possess robust team leadership skills.
As the Lead Composite Laminator, you will play a critical role in ensuring the highest of standards are adhered, while managing a team of technicians and coordinating daily activities.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
Orbex is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is working towards a more diverse workforce in the aerospace industry.
- Supervision of clean room staff to ensure they have all the information, documentation, equipment, etc. required to complete the day’s tasks.
- Assigning tasks to clean room staff.
- Prioritise tasks to hold schedule.
- Laminating ply checks, sign off and laminating maintaining quality.
- Ensure Manufacturing Instructions and ply books are adhered to and correctly populated.
- Foster a positive environment, have a ‘can do’ attitude and assisting in training, guidance, and progression of clean room technicians.
- Promote teamwork and maintain open lines of communication within the team.
- Following and maintaining workshop SOPs and ensure these are adhered to by all personnel.
- Bag checking and sign off.
- Autoclave and oven operation.
- First off part inspection.
- Maintain a clean and tidy work environment.
- Collaborate with the Health and Safety department to ensure a safe working environment.
- Assist with prepreg material and consumable materials stock control recording.
- Assist with performance feedback to aid performance reviews.
Skills and experience
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Outstanding laminating and bagging skills.
- Extensive experience working in a composite clean room environment, ideally in a supervisory role.
- Exceptional eye for detail.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of clean room standards and SOPs.
- Team player
Must possess PC and Microsoft Office operational skills as a minimum
Orbex is a high-paced, startup culture where you will be encouraged to take assume responsibility for tasks and see them through.
It is imperative that you take initiative, communicate openly and can collaborate with technical and non technical team members.
You must be able to thrive in an international, diverse and multicultural environment.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
You must be a UK or European citizen or from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You will be required to obtain CTC clearance for the role.
For the right candidate, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
- Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, but we are happy to sponsor visas for you and your family and provide relocation assistance as required.
- Company Cycle to Work scheme