Avionics AIT Technician
Orbex are currently seeking an experienced Avionics AIT Technician with experience constructing, installing and testing electrical hardware, to work on the development, construction and support of test facilities for the Orbex Prime launch vehicle and its ground support systems (E-GSE). This requires experience working on Harnesses to IPC-620 standards and experience of products for ATEX (explosive atmospheres) would be beneficial. A significant part of this work is outdoors at our test site at the former RAF base at Kinloss supporting test, integration and trials.
Orbex is a leading micro-launch company with our Prime vehicle being prepared to launch from our home spaceport, Sutherland Spaceport. We are well placed to be one of the first operational micro-launch companies in Europe with over €85m of project financing secured, a number of customers signed up, our launch licence application submitted, and backing from organisations including UKSA and ESA.
We are a rapidly growing company with staff located between our production and test facilities in Forres, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark. Working on cutting-edge advances in rocket fuel technology, Prime’s carbon footprint is up to 96% lower than comparable vehicles, leading to innovations in propulsion and tank structures. A state-of-the-art re-flight system means we can recover and reuse our technology, and innovations in separation mechanisms mean we leave no debris in space.
Having developed in-house production capability, we can 3D print complex engines, produce full-scale carbon composite fuel tanks, and have avionics and software testing labs in both Scotland and Denmark. Based in Forres, you will be right in the heart of this fast-paced cutting-edge company, gaining a unique insight into what it takes to build a new launch vehicle for a buoyant commercial market.
- Constructing and testing Avionics wire harnesses to IPC-620 standards for GSE and on board the launch vehicle.
- Installation and maintenance of instrumentation on the Kinloss test site
- Light metal work for prototype and test setup construction.
- Supporting test activities at the Kinloss test site
- A mixture of theoretical electronics work, and practical problem solving.
- Keeping up to date documentation of work
Qualifications and Experience
- Harnessing - IPC/WHMA-A-620 qualified (aka IP620)
- Physical/hands-on experience on electrical/avionics systems for testing
- HND or Bachelor’s degree in electronics or electrical engineering.
- Industrial electronics installation experience
- Outdoor work experience.
- Qualification in soldering connectors and harnessing would be desirable
- Understanding of electronic schematics and drawings.
- Any experience of Electrical-avionic AIT/V activities on satellite/spacecrafts/launchers or equivalent systems ie. missiles/subs/automotive would be beneficial.
- Experience of products for ATEX (explosive atmospheres) would be beneficial
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for an experienced team member who will work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves without any need for supervision.
Typically you will be:-
• A creative, lateral thinker.
• Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy.
• Adventurous and team-oriented.
• Calm under pressure.
In this specific role you will need to be:-
• Comfortable with extreme multi-tasking.
• Highly detail-oriented.
• Energetic and proactive.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
- Salary of £30,000 - 41000 dependent on experience.
- A significant equity stake in the company so you will really benefit from your hard work as the company grows and is successful.
- 34 vacation days per year (Including public holidays)
- Company Cycle to Work scheme
- Our roles need to be on-site in Scotland due to the nature of the position, export controls and security, and provide relocation assistance as required.